CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Peculiar

I am peculiar. And if you are anything like me, so are you. I just can't seem to figure me out. Before getting pregnant I couldn't wait to let some tiny baby take over my body, but once Kaylee was on her way I really missed being the boss of me. So I looked forward, counted down days and tried to be patient for the day she would be here in my arms to love and to hold. Of course once it was 2 am and she had her own opinion on sleep I thought nostalgically on those now gone days when she was inside and I could sleep, mostly, through the summersaults and backflips. You see, apparently I am never going to be satisfied. I am always itching for tomorrow, but reluctant to leave yesterday. Could my husband be right? Is there just no pleasing me?

No, that can't be it! Ice cream pleases me. Chocolate pleases me. Chocolate ice cream really pleases me! So why am I never satisfied with today? Luckily I don't think I am alone in my peculiarity. It seems to be the nature of every people, nation, race, community, school, club, group, family and individual to find themselves in this kunundrum a time or two. (or three or four... thousand) We are all talk when it comes to change and tomorrow, the future, improvements, bigger and better, etc. but when it comes time to make the change we drag our feet, sleep in, procrastinate, or maybe even cry a little bit. Strange.

How have I come to such a conclusion? Well I'll tell you. This week has been a doozey. Duzey? Duozy? Whatever. I finally came to terms with the fact that Kaylee has long outgrown her playmat and baby bassinet chair so I put them away. Along with her baby bathtub, nursing pillow, too small onsies, socks, and Sunday dresses. I bought rubber duckies for her new big girl bath-time, a food processor for big girl food, blocks, and a big girl playmat. My baby is no longer an infant. She plays peek-a-boo, smiles when I walk in the room, sings nursery songs (tries), and loves rolling around rough-housing. And here I am torn between yesterday and tomorrow. Watching Debra Barone (Everybody Loves Raymond) send her twins to pre-school and bawling because my turn is already 7 months closer. Is this how all parents feel? Is that the key? Parenthood? It must be, I was normal before wasn't I? That must be it.

Parents are peculiar.

3 comments:

The Hootens

Not peculiar at all my dear. You spend your teens wishing to find your one true love. You spend your early married life wishing for parenthood. There are wistful times as a parent that you wish you could go back to couplehood or even just starting to datehood or that your kids were old enough to be more independent. Then *poof*, your kids are grown and you wish they were little again. We're never fully satisfied with what we have in every moment, but as long as we're satisfied overall, we can feel extraordinarily blessed.

When Adam was a baby, Helene Terry gave me two of the best pieces of advice I'd ever gotten. She said:

1. Never wake a sleeping baby

2. Always remember that the days are long but the years are short.

You're a wonderful loving mommy. Savor and record these memories in the making. You won't remember like you might think you will.

<3 Kristin

Brittney Engel

Wow! I couldn't have said it better myself. I actually really needed to hear that today after being up practically all night with my new baby. Enjoy today--very wise advice.

SladeMomma

Fun post! But it doesn't make me nostalgic at all. I am just fine and happy with my empty nest. And very glad that the growing babies are in the homes and loving arms of you younguns. All seasons are to enjoy.