CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mollie 'n Me


Thursday my mom had to teach Shane's school class about the Impressionist (ask her about it, you'll be entertained) so she dropped Mollie off with me downtown to spend the afternoon. I was excited, I figured we'd do some coloring, dancing to the radio, the usual babysitting jazz, boy was I wrong!

We were eating greasy Wendy's burgers for lunch when the bells at St. Madeline's Cathedral went off to remind us that another 15 minutes had passed. (Now I love the sound of the bells, they really are gorgeous, but isn't every 15 minutes going a little bit overboard??) Mollie sits up and askes "what was that?" So I told her there was a church with bells around the corner. Well let me tell you, from that moment on she was determined to see those bells! She talked me into walking the block and a half around the corner to see the building so I grabbed my keys, phone and flip-flops. Figuring we'd walk down and back and be done.... lol...

Mollie was absolutely fascinated with St. Madeline's and we spent a while walking through and taking in the beautiful stain glass windows, the intricate podium and, of course, the little baptistry area. Which Mollie was bright enough to inform me was just silly, why would you need to baptize a baby, they can't even swim! (which I figured was close enough) After we'd seen everything and were back outside she asked where the temple was. I said just a few blocks away and the next thing I know we're walking down to temple square!

We saw EVERYTHING! It was actually a lot of fun, most of the buildings I hadn't gone through and actually taken time to take a tour of in a long time. But Mollie she made us take ALL the tours and see ALL the videos in ALL the buildings. lol, it was a lot of fun. I kept thinking she'd get tired and want to stop, or that the hour long tour of the conference center would be boring for her, but I was gravely mistaken. She had more energy than I've ever seen a six year old have before! We even got to go on the top of the conference center, which I'd never done before, and see over the whole valley, including the planes landing at the airport.

After 4 hours of walking around, and after all the Sister Missionaries had called Mollie "the little star" or "superstar" at least twice each I told her we really had to go. That mom was probably going to think I'd kidnapped her and skipped the country by now. We still hadn't seen the Museum or Brigham Young's house so I promised we'd come back another day soon to do those. On the way home I asked her what her favorite part of the day was and guess what she said. "Pushing the buttons to cross the street" ... if I'd known that we could've just walked back and forth! lol. But later she changed her mlind to "the bell from the temple that blew up" (which, translated into six-ese means the origional Nauvoo bell.) All in all, it was an awesome day. And definately a favorite on the memory list. : )

3 comments:

Colin

awesome. now you'll be ready for when you have a six year old of your own.

SladeMomma

What fun for little sister to get to spend such quality time with the big one. I bet she remembers a lot more than pushing the buttons to cross the street. Yea for you taking the time.

{leah}

Inquisitive Minds want to know!!!! I like pushing the buttons too, your sis and I would have a great time together.