CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 9, 2007

My Wonderful World Gets Invaded


By who, you might ask? School. Happens every year. Not that this is a bad thing! This year I'm actually excited to be back in school (which if my 10 year old self ever heard me say I'd be disowned) and have my brain stop turning into mush. Saying "Auto Rx, this is Laralyn" for 9 months straight will do that to you, I promise! Classes are going to be actually interesting now that generals are done.I realize that there are some of you who actually enjoy things like science and I'm happy for you! I'm just completely relieved that I'm not that crazy! ; ) I'm taking a bunch of religion classes, a special ed class, and a "learning to learn" class (which is the one I really need most in life) so I should actually enjoy this year! Oh, and a music civlization class which I thought I was going to hate (it's at 9 am, can you blame me?) but am actually liking a whole lot so far! Although, that may just be because my professor has an australian accent, hmm...

Can I tell you what I'm really excited about? I actually have roommates that I get along with and like a lot! WOW! I was really worried at first, you see they all like wierd things like football and spongebob (shudder) but as I've gotten to know them better they are all really fun! Especially my room roommate, Missy. She has the same sarcastic humor as a lot of my friends growing up and we talk about deep stuff really easily. (and my deep, I mean boys) Another great thing, she thinks it's funny and doesn't mind a bit that I talk in my sleep! Every morning she wakes up laughing at some stupid thing I said in my sleep the night before. (apparently I speak French in my sleep, who knew?) So yeah that's all hunky dorey too!

So I've been thinking (a dangerous pastime I know). And I've decided something about conformity. First of all, it doen't exist so don't even try. (wow, so this is what philosophers must feel like while seriously stating the obvious and getting paid for it! Only, without the pay...) We were talking in my special education class about lables and grouping people. How people want to be "normal" or "popular" or whatever, when in actuality, none of those things exist. Odd huh? In high school you can totally get away with the belief that to "be like Mike" will make you happy and everyone will love you. When you get out into the "real world" (quotes in order seeing as I don't actually count Provo as the real world and that's the only place I've been) it's much more apparent that there is no Mike. Ha! Imagine that! You can be whoever you really are and people will like you! The only "unpopular" people in the world are those who are still chasing after that image. Those still trying to be the thinest cheerleader or the smartest bookworm.

So, after having that lightning bolt of inspiration I came up with another question. If there is no Mike, how do we know who to pattern our lives after? Who do we follow? We learn in church to become like Christ. This is all well and good, but that's not really what I'm talking about. We can be Christlike and end up a million different ways. How do we know what to do, how to act, what to be, where to live all that jazz? I love my parents dearly and the lives they've chosen for themselves are all well and good (and Christlike might I add) but not at all where I want to be. I would go INSANE if I lived in Utah with 8 kids. Well, actually I'd go insane if I lived anywhere with 8 kids, but that's beside the point. Back to how do we know what to do with our lives. This question really has been being buggy to me lately. And for those of you not yet fluent in "lynish" that translates into "causing much reflection and prayers". But I think I may have come up with the answer. I have decided the secret lies in the Patriarchal Blessing. Now I'm no expert on the subject and this is all the gospel according to Laralyn so don't shoot ok? But from my logic and reasoning I've decided that one of the main purposes of the Patriarchal Blessing is to not only give us direction in our lives, but help us see the Mike we can be. I don't know about all of you, but I definatly don't read my blessing and go "Aww man! Do I really have to be that person? I dont' want to do all that stuff. Shoot" it's more along the lines of "Are you serious? Could that possibly be me some day? I could think of nothing better!" Christ knows our hearts, minds and souls. He knows more than anyone who we can and would want to be. And by having Patriarchal Blessings He is giving us a role model. A Mike for our lives who we actually can be. The perfect version of ourselves for this live. An attainable perfection. The ultimate popular you. Dang. That's pretty cool. At least, it is to me. Don't know if it even makes sense at all to anyone else... oh well! It's my blog!

Anyway, it's time now for me to go try to be domestic and cook dinner. (Hey! Hey! Stop that giggling right now!)

3 comments:

Darrell
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darrell

I'm impressed!

lovely laurie

I am truly glad that you are finding joy in life--it's very good to see. Yes, your patriarchal blessing is a good place to turn to find the "Mike" you are supposed to be. Just remember that Heavenly Father may want you in Utah with 8 kids. I didn't know at 20 that I wanted to be in Utah with 8 kids (I mean the Utah part! heeheehee). But, much of life is choosing to be happy wherever you are! Love you lots. Have a good semester--learn lots more cool stuff!